Decorating and cleaning for spring | House + home post
It's nearly spring here in Nashville - the warmer weather has been coming back slowly. I spent my Saturday morning cleaning up around the apartment and adding some spring-like decor to our little place. I love incorporating florals, books, and lace into my decorating and wanted to showcase that this spring with some vintage books, doilies, and a hand-carved wooden bowl.
Some people ask me how I keep things so organized, and while my home isn't nearly as organized as I want it to be, I hope I can share some insights with you that will be of help as the time for "spring cleaning" approaches. Below I've listed 5 things I do to try to stay organized.
1. Clean up daily. I try to do a 10 minute clean-up daily. Even though I often fail at doing this, I try to keep a schedule of things that need done daily and work to keep up with them. Some of these things include: Keeping the sink as close to empty as I can get it, making the bed daily, and keeping up with laundry.
2. Keep mail organized. I have a little mail organizer hanging above my desk (it's actually pictured below with the typewriter tapestry above it) and I love having my mail sorted once we bring it in from the mailbox. Often times, coupons and bills get mixed up and nothing gives me more anxiety than that! I try to separate out junk and important things right when it's brought inside to be certain nothing important gets lost.
3. Keep the closet organized. This is difficult for us because we have such a tiny space that most of our storage things are kept in our tiny walk-in closet. But I try to keep things tidy by hanging clothes in an organized way and keep what is storage organized as well. I have a bit of work to do with this yet, but I like my clothes (both in the closet and in my dresser) to be separated by style and color so that way I can easily find something that I need.
4. Vacuum and sweep weekly. I always vacuum and sweep the floors weekly, if not twice a week. Having two pets can make our place dusty and often dirt and things from outside comes inside because of our adventurous dog. I like to make sure that our carpet and flooring stays clean by vacuuming often. Doing this keeps our home looking fresh and cozy. Plus, I love those clean lines the vacuum makes on the floor - it makes me feel so accomplished!
5. Keeping everything in its place. This one is tough, but it matters so much when it comes to organization. You know those silverware holders that you put in the kitchen drawer that separates the forks from the spoons and knives? I use one of those in my desk drawer for pens! I love my writing utensils and have special places for each kind. It makes it so much easier to find exactly what I'm looking for and also helps extremely well with keeping things tidy.
6. I know I said I was going to give you 5 tips, but the 6th is the most important - give yourself grace. I can get easily frustrated by a messy home (just ask my husband) and I often feel guilty and upset over disorganization. When it comes to keeping a clean home, it is a step-by-step task and you need to give yourself time to complete it. It's important to just take a deep breath and give yourself grace. Do a little bit at a time and try not to get worked up about getting things perfect. Just take one task at a time and allow yourself to feel accomplished when you complete one of them. :)
I hope you'll feel inspired and are able to take some of these tips to your own home! Hopefully this helps you in your pursuit of a cleaner home and if you have any tips of your own, I'd love to hear!